Tesco Digital Ventures Pte. Ltd. (“Tesco”, “we”, “us”, “our”) is committed to doing the right thing when it comes to how we collect, use and protect your personal data. This Policy outlines our policy and responsibilities on the collection, use or disclosure of your personal data.
This Policy applies to you if you use our services (referred to in this Policy as “our Services”). Using our Services means:
- using any of the websites (“our Websites”) or mobile applications (“our Mobile Apps”) where this Policy is posted;
- subscribing for information on exclusive offers;
- participating in our promotions, lucky draws or coupon issuance;
- submitting pre-orders for our products; or
- requesting or receiving samples of our products.
This Policy also applies if you contact us or we contact you about our Services.
By using our Services, you consent to the collection, use, transfer, retention and disclosure of such personal data in accordance with the terms of this Policy and agree to accept and be bound by the terms herein.
Some other parts of our business and other Tesco Group companies may need to collect and use personal data to provide you with their products and services and for certain other purposes. They have their own privacy policies that explain how they use your personal data.
Information we collect
When you register for our Services, we may collect:
- Your personal details, including your name, postal and billing addresses, email addresses, phone numbers and date of birth and title
- Information relating to your membership of any of our retail partner's clubs
- Your account login details, such as your username and the password that you have chosen
When you shop with us online or browse our Websites or use our Mobile Apps, we may collect:
- Information about your online browsing behaviour on our Websites and Mobile Apps and information about when you click on one of our advertisements (including those shown on other organisations’ websites)
- Information about any devices you have used to access our Services (including the make, model and operating system, IP address, browser type and mobile device identifiers)
When you use our coupons, we may collect:
- Transaction information, including how you use your coupons
When you contact us or we contact you or you take part in promotions, lucky draws, competitions, surveys or questionnaires about our Services, we may collect:
- Personal data you provide about yourself anytime you contact us about our Services (for example, your name, username and contact details), including by phone, email or post or when you speak with us through social media
- Details of the emails and other digital communications we send to you that you open, including any links in them that you click on
- Your feedback and contributions to customer surveys and questionnaires
Other sources of personal data
We may also use personal data from other sources, such as our retail partners. For example, this other personal data helps us to:
- review and improve the accuracy of the data we hold; and
- improve and measure the effectiveness of our marketing communications, including online advertising
In the event that you do not provide us with the required information, we may not be able to complete the registration process or provide you with our Services.
How we use personal data
This section describes the purposes for which we collect, use or disclose your personal data (“Purposes”).
Make our Services available to you
- Manage the accounts you hold with us
- Process your registration and requests relating to our Services
- Provide you with information on exclusive offers, if you have subscribed for such information
Manage and improve our day-to-day operations
- Manage and improve our Websites and Mobile Apps
- Help to develop and improve our product range, services, stores, information technology systems, know-how and the way we communicate with you
- Internal record keeping
- Verify your identity
- Detect and prevent fraud or other crime
Personalise your Tesco experience
- Use your online browsing behaviour as well as your coupon usage to help us better understand you as a customer and provide you with personalised offers and services
- Provide you with relevant marketing communications (including by email, post or online advertising), relating to our products and services, and those of our suppliers, retail partners and the Tesco Group. As part of this, online advertising may be displayed on websites across the Tesco Group and on other organisations’ websites and online media channels. We may also measure the effectiveness of our marketing communications and those of our suppliers and retail partners
Contact and interact with you
- Contact you about our Services, for example by phone, email or post or by responding to social media posts that you have directed at us
- Manage promotions, lucky draws and competitions you take part in, including those we run with our suppliers and retail partners
- Invite you to take part in and manage customer surveys, questionnaires and other market research activities carried out by us, the Tesco Group and by other organisations on our behalf
- Inform you of important changes to our Services
To help us to better understand you as a customer and to be able to provide you with services and marketing communications, including online advertising, that are relevant to your interests we also combine personal data we collect when you use coupons with personal data collected from our Websites, Mobile Apps and other sources.
Disclosure of personal data
We may share the personal data we collect with other companies in the Tesco Group (which may be located within or outside Singapore), for the Purposes described above.
We work with carefully selected service providers that carry out certain functions on our behalf.
These include, for example, companies that help us with technology services, and storing and combining data. We only share personal data that enable our service providers to provide their services.
We may share personal data with other organisations in the following circumstances:
- if provided for under applicable law;
- if the law or a public authority says we must share the personal data;
- if we need to share personal data in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (this includes providing personal data to others for the purposes of preventing fraud);
- to an organisation we sell or transfer (or enter into negotiations to sell or transfer) any of our businesses or any of our rights or obligations under any agreement we may have with you. If the transfer or sale goes ahead, the organisation receiving your personal data can use your personal data in the same way as us; or
- to any other successors in title to our business.
How we protect personal data
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable security measures to safeguard and secure the information we collect.
We use computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption, and we enforce physical access controls to our buildings and files to keep this data safe. We only authorise access to employees who need it to carry out their job responsibilities.
- We protect the security of your information while it is being transmitted by encrypting it, using Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL”) or equivalent.
- We enforce physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personal data. We may occasionally ask for proof of identity before we share your personal data with you.
However, whilst we take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, please note that we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data that you transfer over the internet to us.
Transfer of personal data
The personal data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside Singapore. It may also be processed by companies with operations outside Singapore who work for us or for one of our service providers. We will put in place appropriate protection to make sure your personal data remains adequately protected and is treated in line with this Policy. You acknowledge and agree that any such overseas transfer or processing of your personal data is necessary to provide our Services and you consent to the same.
Marketing and market research
You acknowledge and agree that we may contact you:
- with offers and information about Tesco products or services
- with offers and information about our retail partners’ products or services
- for market research purposes; for example, to help improve our services
We will send you relevant offers and news about our products and services in a number of ways including by email. You may choose not to receive marketing information from us, but this will prevent you from receiving offers or promotions that may be of interest to you. When you register with us we will ask if you would like to receive marketing communications, and you can change your marketing choices online, or in writing at any time.
We also like to hear your views to help us to improve our Services, so we may contact you for market research purposes. You always have the choice about whether to take part in our market research.
Non-registered visitors of our Website are sent anonymous cookies to keep track of their browsing patterns and build up a demographic profile.
Whilst you do not need to allow your browser to accept cookies in order to browse much of our Website or to access many of our Services, you must have cookies enabled if you wish to access any areas reserved for registered users.
By using cookies, we can improve our Services and tailor them to your needs and preferences, by collecting information about your preferences. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of our Website and Services.
Links to other websites
Accessing and correcting your personal data
You have the right to request access to your personal data held by us (or under our control) and to request correction of such personal data. Additionally, upon request, we will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal data. You may access or correct your personal data by contacting our Data Protection Officer at the address below. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe , to the extent permitted or authorized by law. You may also have supplemental rights under applicable law in relation to your personal data.
If you have any questions regarding this Policy or if you wish to exercise any of these or other rights you may have under applicable law in relation to your personal data, you may send your request in writing to the following contact and address:
Tesco Data Protection Officer
168 Robinson Road #12-01
Capital Tower, Singapore 068912
Email address: TescoSingapore@tesco.sg
Tesco reserves the right to amend this Policy at any time without prior notice. Any changes to this Policy will be communicated by us posting an amended Policy on our Website. Once posted on our Website the new Policy shall become immediately effective. You are responsible for regularly reviewing this Policy. Continued use of our Services shall constitute your consent to such changes.