Bring the taste of traditional Spanish roots and coastal flavours to your mid-week meals with a classic seafood paella.
- Serves 4
- 20 mins to prepare and 30 mins to cook
- 394 calories / serving
- 900ml (1 1/2 pint) fish stock
- pinch saffron
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 x 31g (1 1/4oz) pack flatleaf parsley, leaves roughly chopped and half the stalks reserved
- 1 tsp paprika
- 250g (8oz) Spanish paella rice
- 1 x 285g jar roasted peppers, drain and rinse them
- 1 x 227g tin chopped tomatoes
- 175g (6oz) raw black tiger prawns
- 150g (5oz) live mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 150g (5oz) raw squid rings
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Bring the fish stock to the boil; add a pinch of saffron. Set aside.
- Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a wide frying pan over a medium-high heat. Finely chop the onion and fry, for 5 minutes, or until soft and golden.
- Add crushed garlic cloves, tinned chopped tomatoes, half the stalks from the flatleaf parsley, paprika; fry for 2 minutes. Stir in the paella rice; season well.
- Pour over the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and leave the rice to cook uncovered, without stirring, for 10 minutes. Put in the jar roasted peppers, drain and rinse them, and scatter over. Gently shake the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Scatter the raw black tiger prawns, live mussels, cleaned and debearded, and raw squid rings. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with chopped flat leaf parsley leaves, a squeeze of lemon and lemon wedges.