Red wine braised brisket and red cabbage one-pot
Try making the ultimate braised brisket one-pot for dinner tonight. This recipe is very easy to follow and the secret to this delicious dish is slow-cooking, which makes the beef brisket super tender and full of flavour.
- Serves 6
- 10 minutes to prepare and 3 hours 10 minutes to cook
- 413 calories / serving
- 1.25kg (2 1/2 lb) beef brisket joint
- 1 tbsp Tesco Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 red cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- 750ml (1 1/4 pints) hot beef stock
- 2 tbsp redcurrant sauce
- 1 tbsp Tesco Dried Thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Tesco Black Peppercorn, crushed
- 200ml (1/3 pint) Tesco Rioja Reserva red wine
- 3 red apples, each cut into 8 segments
- 1 red onion, thickly sliced
- olive oil mash, to serve
Preheat oven to gas 4, 180˚C, fan 160˚C.
Season the beef with salt and pepper. In a large flameproof casserole dish, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the beef brisket, turning gradually until browned all over.
Nestle the cabbage wedges around the beef. Into the stock, stir the redcurrant sauce, herbs and crushed peppercorns. Pour over the beef with the red wine. Cover with a lid or a piece of foil and transfer to the oven for 2 hours.
Add the apple segments and red onion and return to the oven uncovered for 1 hour.
Slice the beef and serve with mashed potato, the cabbage wedges and a spoonful of the apple and onion mix.