Try a new twist on classic eggs Florentine with this easy brunch recipe using a zesty pesto sauce.
Try a new twist on classic eggs Florentine with this easy brunch recipe using a zesty pesto sauce. Top toasted English muffins with wilted spinach, poached eggs and punchy pesto for a breakfast or lunch that's sure to impress.
- Serves 2
- 5 mins to prepare and 10 mins to cook
- 447 calories / serving
- 4 tsp green pesto
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10g butter
- 130g baby spinach, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 2 English muffins, halved and toasted
- In a bowl, mix the pesto, lemon juice, oil and 4 tsp water; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over a low heat, then add the spinach a handful at a time. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 mins until wilted.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to a simmer. Stir to make a whirlpool, then crack 1 egg at a time into the pan and reduce the heat to a very gentle simmer. Poach the eggs for 2-3 mins until the whites are set but the yolk is still runny. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Put the muffin halves on plates and top with wilted spinach, then the eggs. Spoon over the pesto sauce and serve with extra fresh spinach, if you like.