Forget hours of simmering, this easy chicken soup recipe with tender meat and herby pesto is ready in under half an hour.
Forget hours of simmering, this simple chicken soup recipe is ready in under half an hour – showing just how quick and easy homemade soup can be. Soothe the soul with a generous bowl filled with tender poached chicken, butter beans and spinach in a herby pesto and chicken broth.
- Serves 4
- 5 mins to prepare and 20 mins to cook
- 196 calories / serving
- 2 reduced-salt chicken stock cubes, made up to 1ltr
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 chicken breasts
- 400g tin butter beans in water
- 1 tbsp green pesto, plus 4 tsp to serve
- 100g baby spinach
- grated Parmesan, to serve (optional)
- Pour the stock into a large saucepan and add the onion and chicken breasts. Season, bring to a gentle simmer (only a few bubbles) over a low heat and cook for 10 mins or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken and set aside to rest for 5 mins, then finely shred.
- Meanwhile, add the butter beans with their water to the pan (this will help the soup thicken slightly) and stir through the 1 tbsp pesto. Simmer gently for 5 mins, then add the shredded chicken and spinach. Cook for a further 2 mins until the spinach has wilted.
- Divide between 4 bowls and top each bowl with 1 tsp of pesto and a little grated Parmesan, if you like.