Lobio (nutty bean dip) recipe
Kidney beans, or lobio, are a Georgian favourite - here they're whizzed into a delicious spread
Kidney beans, or lobio, are a Georgian favourite - here they're whizzed into a delicious spread.
- Serves 8
- 5 mins to prepare and 15 mins to cook
- 164 calories / serving
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 x 400g cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 200ml (1/3pt) vegetable stock
- large handful parsley, roughly chopped
- 100g (3 1/2oz) walnut pieces, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, then add the diced onion and thyme sprigs and cook for around 10 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic, spice (ground cinnamon) and a generous amount of seasoning, cook for another couple of minutes, then add the kidney beans, vinegar and stock. Gently simmer for about 5 minutes, until the liquid has reduced a little.
- Once the liquid has reduced, take the pan off the heat and tip three quarters of the beans into a food processor with the parsley and walnuts, then whizz to a rough purée. Check the seasoning, then, while still warm, put into a deep bowl and top with the remaining kidney beans. Serve with flatbreads.