Healthier meatloaf recipe
- 1tbsp Tesco Organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp cayenne pepper
- 2tbsp tomato puree
- 400g lean turkey mince
- 250g lean beef mince
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 10 Tesco cream crackers, crushed
- small bunch of parsley, leaves chopped
- 1 large egg white, lightly whisked
Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot and sweat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and dried spices, continue to fry for a minute. Finally stir through the tomato purée cooking for 2 minutes more. Spoon into a bowl and allow to cool.
Add all of the remaining ingredients and season generously. With clean hands scrunch to mix well. Spoon the mince into a 2lb (900g) loaf tin as an even layer. Place in a deep roasting tray and fill with enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the loaf tin. Cover the whole thing in foil and bake in the oven for 50 minutes -1 hour.
Test to see that the meatloaf is cooked by poking the centre with the tip of a sharp knife to see that the juices run clear (or test with a meat thermometer). Leave for 10 minutes in the tin, then drain away the juices and turn out onto your serving dish. Serve warm or cold in slices with a green salad or a rich tomato sauce.