Fresh ravioli packed full of gorgeous, zesty crab meat and served with a simple butter and lemon sauce.
The perfect way to start your Valentine's Day meal. Fresh ravioli packed full of gorgeous, zesty crab meat and served with a simple butter and lemon sauce. This recipe does require a pasta maker and a bit of skill, but the impressive results are totally worth it!
- Serves 4
- 20 mins to prepare and 10 mins to cook
- 661 calories / serving
- pinch saffron
- 400g (13oz) pasta flour
- 3 eggs
- 200g (7oz) crab meat
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 100g (3 1/2oz) butter
- To make the pasta, add the saffron to 30ml (1fl oz) hot water and stir to infuse. Sift the flour onto a clean, level surface and make a well in the centre. Crack the eggs into the well and add the cooled saffron liquid. Break up the eggs and gradually bring in the flour until you have a soft dough (you may not need all the flour). Wrap the dough in clingfilm and rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling by mixing the crab meat with the lemon zest.
- Using a pasta maker, roll two lengths of pasta on the second-thinnest setting. Divide the filling into amounts of 1 tsp each and place 5cm (2in) apart along one length of pasta. Using a little water, run a damp finger around all the little piles, then place the second length of pasta on top. Press gently and seal well. Cut into squares or rounds and leave to dry out slightly for 10 minutes.
- Cook the ravioli gently in boiling, salted water for 3-4 minutes until the crab is cooked and the pasta is tender, then drain. In a frying pan, melt the butter, add the drained ravioli then the lemon juice and swirl to mix. Serve immediately.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Once the dish has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating.