Try this rich chocolate bread and butter pudding recipe for a luxurious twist on the classic pud.
We've taken a classic bread and butter pudding recipe and given it a luxurious chocolate makeover. The bread is soaked in a rich and creamy chocolate custard, before being finished with a final drizzle of chocolate just before serving. Pure comfort food heaven.
- Serves 6
- 20 mins to prepare, 30 mins to cook, 20 mins resting
- 490 calories / serving
- 40g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing the tin
- 8 slices white bread, cut into medium slices (preferably 1 day old)
- 50g raisins & cranberries mix
- 400ml whole milk
- 50ml double cream
- 1 x 100g bar dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 orange, zested
- 3 eggs
For the drizzle
- 20g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180C, fan 160°C. Grease a medium-sized square ovenproof dish (about 20x20cm) with a little butter.
- Cut the crusts off the bread and lightly butter each slice, then cut each slice in half to form 2 triangles. Arrange half the slices, buttered side up, in the tin in 2 rows, and scatter with half the raisins and cranberries. Add the remaining bread and scatter over the remaining dried fruit.
- Place the milk, double cream, chocolate, sugar and orange zest in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water and heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the eggs in a large jug or bowl, then slowly add the milk mixture, whisking continuously. Pour the mixture over the bread, making sure every bit of bread is covered. Leave to stand for 20 mins. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 30 mins, or until puffed and set on top. Leave to stand for 5 mins while you make the drizzle.
- Place the chocolate into a small, heatproof bowl and add 1½ tbsp boiling water. Whisk until smooth, then liberally drizzle over the pudding before serving.
Chocolate and cinnamon: Instead of the orange zest, add 1 tsp cinnamon and swap the raisins and cranberries for 50g roughly chopped hazelnuts.
Chocolate and ginger: Substitute the orange zest in the custard for 2 tbsp ginger syrup (from a jar of stem ginger) and add 3 tbsp finely chopped stem ginger instead of the raisins and cranberries.
Boozy: For a more adult version, add a 2 tbsp amaretto or brandy to the milk and chocolate mixture.