Forget plain jacket potatoes, these loaded fajita sweet potatoes are sure to be a new family favourite.
Forget plain jacket potatoes, these loaded fajita sweet potatoes are sure to be a new family favourite. Filled with spiced peppers and chicken, the stuffed potato skins are topped with melting cheese for irresistible Mexican-inspired comfort food.
- Serves 4
- 15 mins to prepare and 1 hr to cook
- 515 calories / serving
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into fine strips
- 3 mixed peppers, chopped
- 125g Cheddar, grated
- handful fresh coriander
- 2 limes, cut into wedges to serve
For the fajita seasoning
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garlic granules
- ½ tsp crushed chillies
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Put the potatoes in a large roasting tin, rub with half the oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for 30 mins until just soft, then leave to cool.
- While the potato is cooking, prepare the filling. Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion, season well and cook for 5 mins. Add the garlic and chicken and cook for 10 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the fajita seasoning. Tip into the frying pan along with the peppers and stir to coat. Cook for 5 mins until the peppers begin to soften.
- When cool enough to handle, slice each potato in half. Scoop out the centre of each and add to the fajita mixture.
- Put the potato skins back in the roasting tin. Divide the fajita mix between each and top with the cheese. Return to the oven for 10 mins until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Scatter with coriander and serve with lime wedges.