Father's Day treats surely can't get much better than this.
Father's Day treats surely can't get much better than this. These gooey, richly chocolatey brownies are finished with a whiskey-flavoured ganache and a scattering of salty-sweet candied bacon pieces.
- Serves 9 (makes 9 brownies)
- 15 mins to prepare and 1 hr to cook, plus cooling
- 511 calories / serving
For the whiskey candied bacon
- 5 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 50g (1 3/4oz) light brown sugar
- 25ml (3/4fl oz) whiskey
For the brownies
- 200g (7oz) dark chocolate (65-75% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 130g (4 1/2oz) unsalted butter, diced
- 100g (3 1/2oz) caster sugar
- 130g (4 1/2oz) light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 85g (3oz) self-raising flour
- 3 scant tbsp cocoa powder
For the whiskey ganache
- 50g (1 3/4oz) dark chocolate (65-75% cocoa solids)
- 40ml (1 1/2fl oz) double cream
- 2 tbsp whiskey
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C and line a baking tray with foil, setting a cooling rack on top. To make the candied bacon, put the sugar and whiskey into a small saucepan and cook over a low heat, until the sugar has dissolved, then increase the heat to medium-high and simmer for 1-2 minutes until the mixture reduces slightly, resembling a thin maple syrup.
- Lay the bacon on the cooling rack and brush the top with the syrup. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, before turning and brushing again with the syrup. Bake for a further 5 minutes, or until crisp. Keep an eye on it – the sugar in the syrup means it may catch quickly. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool while you make the brownies
- To make the brownies, reduce the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C and line a 20cm (8in) square cake tin with nonstick baking paper. Put the butter and chocolate into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, and stir occasionally until fully melted. Remove from the heat and whisk in the sugars and vanilla. Add an egg, whisking until the mixture thickens and becomes shiny before repeating with the second and third.
- In another bowl mix the flour, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt then add to the chocolate mix, folding together until smooth and evenly combined. Pour the brownie batter into the prepared tin and level. Bake in the oven for 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Remove the tin from the oven and set aside to cool for 20 minutes.
- While the brownies bake, make the ganache. Put the chocolate, cream and whiskey into a small heatproof bowl and microwave in short 15 second bursts until the chocolate is melted, or set the bowl over pan of simmering water and stir until melted. Stir to combine then set aside for about 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Drizzle the slightly cooled brownies with the ganache, then chop the candied bacon into small pieces and scatter over. Cut the brownies into small squares and enjoy. Kept in a sealed container these brownies will keep for up to three days, although the bacon will lose it crispness after the first day.
Tip: Kept in a sealed container these brownies will keep for up to three days, although the bacon will lose it crispness after the first day.